Friday, April 24, 2009

The Time to Live is Now

A friend of mine came to TKD class a few months ago and just watched on the sidelines. She seemed intrigued and interested in taking classes, but when I asked her if she wanted to try, she said to me, "I need to get into shape first."

This puzzled me a bit, but reminded me of something I've thought about many times in my own life. There is always an excuse to put something off, rather than to just do it. I know this from personal experience. How many times had I told myself that I would start that book when I'd finished this project or that project, only to never getting around to the projects that were holding me back in the first place? Writing a book has been a lifelong dream of mine, so why was I always finding a reason to put it on the back burner? To put it bluntly--failure.

I know I'm not alone in this. I've seen my friends and family members all give into the "excuse engine" time and again when it comes to something that they want, but is just a bit intimidating. And why not? It's easy to do. Why dive into that book when I could go out for ice cream instead? Or why start TKD when I can tell myself I should get in shape first, as I sit in front of the television each night? Sometimes, it's just easier to fail.

But is it any fun? Is it at all satisfying? Well...maybe the ice cream...but only for the moment. Real satisfaction comes from facing your fears and overcoming them. Real happiness, real fun, real satisfaction...all come from LIVING.

At a recent funeral of a family member, they recounted his life. He'd flown planes in the military, been all over the world, rode motorcycles, played baseball and had a beautiful family. As sad as the moment was, it was so uplifting to know that he had lived a full and happy life...truly LIVED. He'd probably rarely given in to the "excuse engine."

And that's what I want for myself, for my friends, for my family and for our readers. To truly live...to not sit on the sidelines of life...making up excuses to not jump in and just live. No more projects, no more "when I'm in shape", no more "I'll start Monday." It's time to embrace life and live it. Because you can't wait for the future to live your life. You can't wait for elements of your life to change before start living either. There is no better time. The time to live...is now.

1 comment:

  1. I agree totally; I have always been one to "wait until I was in shape" to go to a gym, start an exercise program, enter a footrace, or return to martial arts. But why wait? Isn't that for what those activities are specifically designed? It is like the housewife who cleans up her home before the housekeeper arrives, she is too embarrassed to have the housekeeper think that she is a slob! I was the only one who was fooling myself - no one would notice how much weight I had gained or how out-of-shape I had let myself get, if I didn't go exercise where they could see me struggle?

    I got back into the martial arts; I sought a local dojang where many members were newcomers, or revolving-door returnees like me - and had extra pounds, just like me. Why wait?

    Begin enjoying your life in the body you have now ! The rest will fall in place. . . . .

    ReplyDelete